Is it Time for a Ductwork Inspection?
July 30, 2015
Ductwork is one of those critical components of a home that is not often seen and is easy to take for granted. However, when your ductwork is in poor condition, your HVAC system will work less efficiently and if you live in the Ft Myers and Naples Florida area, your AC system is paramount for living in comfort. Here are some Q&A’s to help you determine if you need a licensed ac installation professional to access the condition of your ductwork and offer solutions to improve the performance of your HVAC system.
- What does ductwork do? Ductwork is the delivery system for the HVAC system in your home or business. It delivers warmed or cooled air through your air vents and returns indoor air back to the system to be warmed or cooled again.
- Is ductwork really that important? Yes, it is! If ductwork is leaking conditioned air coming from your ac unit, your unit overworks and your house may not feel as cool as it should. If the ducts are dirty or clogged with debris, your system will not run efficiently and all those particulates and bacteria will be circulated throughout your home, which can have a negative impact on your family’s health.
- Should I get my ductwork cleaned or repaired? A professional inspection by reputable ac installation contractor will help you answer that question. The contractor can perform a Duct Test that will determine whether you need a cleaning or repairs to fix damaged or disconnected ducts. During the Duct Test an ac installation technician can determine whether joints need to be resealed or if some areas need to be completely renovated due to poor design.
- What are the Advantages of Duct Testing? A properly conducted Duct Test by a Certified ac installation professional will tell you what repairs are needed, if any. The goal of renovating and repairing your ductwork is to improve the comfort level of your home and make cooling more consistent and even. It will also improve the energy efficiency of your system, thereby saving money on your monthly utility bill. Inefficient ductwork can also lead to increased humidity indoors, which may result in mold growth, interior condensation and poor air quality.
- How do I know if my ductwork needs replacing? Systems older than 10 years often need some replacement or leak repair. Examine your ducts wherever you have visual access, looking for signs of deterioration around seals, as well as rust and corrosion. Look for streaks of dust near seals; these indicate leakage areas. Check your vents for consistent airflow; if air flow in some areas are warmer or weaker than others, you could have a collapsed or clogged duct.
- What should I do if I think I have a problem? Call Certified Heating and Cooling at (239) 204-4114. We’re one of the most referred, most trusted ac installation companies in the Naples, Ft Myers area. We’re here to keep you cool!