Not all contractors are the same and unfortunately, fraudulent practices by shady AC contractors are all too prevalent in the Naples-Ft Myers and Port Charlotte area. Information is the key to finding an excellent ac installation contractor with an established reputation for integrity. Keep these tips in mind when shopping for ac installation companies.
- Do your homework: The more you know, the harder it is for a scammer to take advantage of you. Understand what licenses and insurance requirements are necessary in your state. It is also important to know what kind of system you currently have, it’s age and how well it is working in terms of comfort and cost.
- An over-the-phone estimate is a red flag: An in-home inspection is preferred before a contractor can give an estimate. The ac install person needs to know if your ductwork is adequate and what kind of insulation you have. And what about registers and air returns and the size of your home? A good contractor will consider many factors and take time to look the existing system; he or she will also perform a cool-load calculation at your home. Only then, can a system recommendation and honest price be accurately provided.
- If someone wants to replace your old system with the same SEER type of unit, move on: Most AC systems last 10-15 years. An AC Installation contractor who knows his business will be able to recommend the newest models that will boost energy efficiency and save money. Your contractor should offer ENERGY STAR products; these products meet strict energy efficiency ratings set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The air conditioner installer should also be able to provide energy savings calculations.
- Experience is NOT everything: Some of the best AC installation contractors are young, in their 20s and 30s. This is because they are well versed in the latest technologies and they know about AC products that are constantly changing and improving. Someone who tells you “we’ve been doing AC this way for 20 years” may not be up to speed.
- Ask for references and referrals: Friends and neighbors who have had bad or good experiences are all too happy to share those experiences with you. Be sure to ask if the work was done as promised, within budget, and if the system works as expected. Also, check out referrals, references and testimonials on the company’s website.
- Ask for special offers: Most ac installation companies are ready to offer specials as part of your installation or maintenance package because they want your business. Also check on possible energy-efficiency rebates at www.energystar.gov.
- Get your estimate in writing: A verbal contract could leave you with a lot of hidden costs. A written bid should include an itemized list of everything that is included and a total price for components and labor.
- Cheapest is not always best: Weigh energy savings, reliability and recommendations to determine who will do the best job and offer the right product at a fair price. Are you confident that the ac install contractor that you hire will show up on time and get the job done in the time frame allotted? Does the company offer a maintenance plan to keep your equipment operating at peak efficiency?
At Certified Heating and Cooling, we take pride in our work and our excellent product line. We stand behind our work and have earned a reputation as one of the most referred, most reliable air conditioning installation contractors in the Naples-Ft Myers, and Port Charlotte area. Call us today at (239) 205-8342 for a free in home estimate.