6 Ways to Make Your Home Energy Efficient
Many people want their home to be energy efficient, or more energy efficient than it currently is, but lack the knowledge to achieve that goal. Truthfully, it’s not as hard as you might think! Consuming less energy in your Florida home isn’t a matter of spending a lot of time and money trying to make it happen, it’s about conscious decision making. Once you figure out where and how you’re using an excessive amount of energy, you can make the necessary adjustments to cut back. If it sounds (relatively) easy, that’s because it is!
What Does an Energy Efficient Home Look Like?
Just like in many other important aspects of life, the difference is in the details. Are your curtains open all the time or closed at certain parts of the day? How often do you unplug the electrical cords throughout your home? When’s the last time you shut down your computer when you weren’t using it, instead of just logging off? An energy efficient home probably doesn’t look much different than any other home in the Fort Myers or Naples area to the unassuming eye, but to someone who is actively trying to cut back on energy consumption, and quite possibly energy costs, these everyday decisions are significant.
How to Make Your Florida Home Energy Efficient
With some help from the U.S. Department of Energy, we’ve compiled this outline to help you increase the energy efficiency of your home:
- Utilize a programmable thermostat: the ability to adjust your thermostat based on when you’ll be in the house not only saves energy, it can also save you money! Instead of paying to heat or cool your home all day when nobody is there, you can program certain times or even control the temperatures using Wi-Fi and smart phone connectivity.
- Turn appliances and electronics off when you aren’t using them: this one might seem obvious, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t take the time to turn off the TV when their show ends or shut off the lights when they leave a room. This can conserve energy and keep you in good graces with the head of the household!
- Plug cords into power strips: by opting for power strips instead of wall outlets, you have the power—literally—to quickly flip one switch and turn off several different appliances. Even if your television is off or in standby mode, it can still consume watts of power.
- Ensure that windows and doors are sealed tightly: air sealing your home prevents heat from escaping and cold air drafts from sneaking in, which is a red flag for energy loss. Unfortunately, air leaks can come from more places than just doors and windows – they can also stem from the ductwork in your home. By sealing the ductwork, you stand a better chance of keeping hard-earned energy inside your home.
- Inspect air filters monthly and change when needed: this might take you five minutes to do but it can make a big difference when it comes to the efficiency of your HVAC system and indoor air quality. Changing dirty air filters can help remove chemicals and pollutants from the air in your home and can help to keep your conditioned air where you want it, which is inside!
- Take advantage of for ENERGY STAR® products: by choosing ENERGY STAR products, you’re already taking a step towards using less energy. These products release fewer emissions into than atmosphere and use less energy than your standard model. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
These tips and suggestions are just a drop in the bucket when it comes to transitioning your home to a more energy efficient space. Depending on many factors, including the size of your home, how many people live there, and where you live, you can make different adjustments to cut back on energy usage.
Call us at (239) 204-4114 today to learn how our Aeroseal® technology can seal the ductwork in your Fort Myers home!
Energy Efficient Services in Fort Myers and Naples, FL
Making your Florida home energy efficient doesn’t need to be a long or stressful process. At Certified Heating and Cooling, we know that figuring out the best ways to improve the energy usage in your home is a journey that’s different for everyone. That’s why our NATE-certified technicians are experienced in discussing the available options with our customers before creating a custom plan for you and your family. We won’t just give you an estimate on the installation or maintenance services, we’ll guide you throughout the entire process as well.
Schedule an appointment to see how you could be saving energy and money in your home now!